This one was too good not to share, I can’t actually remember the last time I made a burger recipe that actually really impressed me. This burger is simple, full of flavour and is a really nice change from the every day cheeseburger. Not that we eat burgers every night of the week, but on the rare occasion we do love to stack a pair of toasty buns sky high with our favourite ingredients.
What I love most about this burger is its complete non-burger feel. What do I mean by that? Lets start with the meat, rarely do I use lamb for a burger mix, most of the time I automatically reach for beef. So changing things up with lamb was a great idea – combining it with a variety of spices was an even better one. I love the harissa mayonnaise too, every burger needs a good sauce, otherwise you might end up with clean fingers post burger eating – and that’s just not right. Juices should be flowing, mayonnaise dripping and fingers should get a licking! This mayonnaise has the perfect combination of creamy, spicy and fresh.
But the real surprise? The orange salsa – oh my goodness its good. Its so unexpected, but so welcomed. I was a little apprehensive when I first read the recipe, but decided to just go for it, and I am glad I did. Putting tomato, cucumber or lettuce on this burger would have made it an everyday burger – and that’s not what I wanted to make. This salsa is really great and I would even be happy to use it as a side salad to other dishes mixed with some rocket or micro herbs, I really did love it!
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp cinnamon
1 Tbs honey
1kg lamb mince
1/2 red onion, finely diced
3 garlic gloves, crushed
4 crusty bread rolls, or sliced bread (whatever you prefer)
rocket leaves, to serve
1/2 cup whole-egg mayonnaise
2 Tbs harissa
2 Tbs coriander, finely chopped
1 orange, segmented
1 cup pitted kalamata olives, sliced
1 Tbs slivered pistachio nuts
- Combine spices, honey, lamb, garlic and onion in a bowl and season. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Combine all ingredients for the harissa mayonnaise into a bowl and combine, refrigerate until serving.
- For the orange salsa, combine all ingredients in a bowl, toss to combine and leave refrigerated until serving.
- Section out mixture into 8 evenly sized pieces and roll into balls, then flatten slightly to create patties.
- Heat a non-stick fry pan and then place burgers in, you may need to cook in two batches. Cooking for 3 – 4 minutes on each side, or until cooked through.
- Toast your rolls or sliced bread and then spread over the harissa mayonnaise, followed by a lamb patty, orange salsa and rocket leaves. Serve immediately.
*Recipe adapted from delicious: simply the best