My childhood is full of memories of this simple winter dessert, served by Nanna, Grandma and Mum its a common appearance at our family dinner table! It’s an understated masterpiece really; cost effective, quick to prep, easy to create and more than easy to finish your plate! Serve it up with ice-cream, cream or custard – this dessert makes for pleasing the masses.
I don’t like to over complicate these sorts of dishes. Why bother? If they were good to begin with, why tempt fate? So that’s the premise I worked with to create this, I knew my Mother’s recipe and I could remember certain highlights from my Nanna’s version (such as dates in the crumble mix)…so to be fair I use a combination. This way I can’t upset the family balance, plus it also gives me a small sense of nostalgia to be serving up the past with the present.
Serves five generously – and with this, you want generous servings. Believe me!
5 – 6 green apples, peeled and finely sliced
1 cup frozen blueberries
2 large cups of oats
2 Tbs plain flour
1 tsp powered cinnamon
2 heaped Tbs brown sugar
2/3 cup dessicated coconut
1/4 cup dates, dried or fresh, roughly chopped
2 Tbs honey
3 Tbs butter
Vanilla ice-cream, custard or cream to serve
- Preheat oven to 180°C
- Into a large baking dish place your sliced apples and blueberries
- In a large bowl mix together your oats, brown sugar, coconut, cinnamon and dates
- In a microwave safe bowl melt your butter and honey together
- Mix your butter mixture into your dry ingredients until combined
- Pour your crumble mixture on top of your fruit and push down slightly, making sure the top is covered evenly
- Bake for roughly 20-25 minutes, or until top is golden and your kitchen smells delicious
- Serve with your favourite side and a mug of hot chocolate if you’re feeling particularly naughty!
*Tip – sometimes I add flaked almonds to the crumble mixture for an extra little crunch