My lack of blogging recently can be directly attributed to my recent birthday celebrations, which seemed to stretch for days (not that I’m complaining). So apologies for the lack of love! So now that life is back to the normal routine and regular eating habits (i.e. not having cake for breakfast), I thought I would return to routine with my normal weekday breakfast staple.
Homemade toasted muesli. Simple, healthy and tasty.
Everyone should try this at least once – especially if you normally buy muesli from the store. It’s cheaper to buy the individual ingredients and put in some of your own time to create a really great start to your day. This isn’t particularly challenging, but does offer a sense of accomplishment nonetheless. Plus it’s an adorable idea for a gift, I love giving people things I have created because it’s packed full of love and thought. Packaging something like this in individual portions with a printed recipe and placed into little cellophane bags tied with a ribbon would make a wonderful little treat for someone special.
4 cups rolled oats
1 cup bran (like the long slivers)
1/2 cup sultanas
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup sunflower kernels
1/2 cup macadamia nuts (or almonds)
2 Tbs dessicated coconut
1/4 cup honey
200ml apple juice (you may need a little more – the oats should be nicely moist)
- Preheat oven to 150°C
- Combine honey and apple juice, stirring together to slightly dissolve the honey.
- Mix in rolled oats, coconut, bran and macadamia nuts and stir through to combine. Leave to soak in for 20 minutes.
- Line baking trays with baking paper, spreading mixture out evenly (and not too thickly) and place in oven for 25 – 30 minutes, turning over once or twice during the time to ensure all mixture is toasting evenly.
- Remove from oven and allow mixture to cool completely before going through with fingers and breaking apart any larger chunks of muesli.
- Pour mixture into a large bowl and stir through sultanas, cranberries and sunflower kernels.
- Serve with fresh fruit (such as banana/green apple slices/strawberries), natural yoghurt and milk.
*Tip: Use different ingredients to suit your personal muesli style, adding and removing anything you do or don’t like