I didn’t exactly set myself any sort of culinary challenge last night when I decided to make the boyfriend Coconut Rough as a treat, actually it’s rather shameful how easy this is to make. Just think melted chocolate, toasted coconut and well…eating.
Don’t be deterred by its simplicity, this is an awesome little treat and makes a great TV snack, gift for friends and family (if packaged in a little bag or box) and is a wonderful addition to any road trip. Likewise, this would be really fun to do with younger kids!
The (little) List:
1 cup desiccated coconut
200g good-quality milk (or dark) chocolate (I used the melting buttons)
- Preheat your oven to 160°C
- Line a baking tray with non-stick paper baking paper
- Spread coconut evenly out over your tray and bake for 5 – 6 minutes, turning over once during to ensure coconut is evenly toasted. Remove once lightly golden
- Place chocolate in a heat proof bowl over a small pot of simmering water (don’t let the water make contact with the bowl) and stir consistently for around 4 – 5 minutes until the chocolate has melted, being careful not to burn it. Remove the bowl from the heat and mix through coconut.
- Spoon the chocolate and coconut mixture into silicon moulds or into a lined shallow baking tray and allow to set in the fridge for an hour. If you’ve made one large block, cut into smaller pieces using a sharp knife.
*Tip: try adding crushed biscuits, toasted nuts, turkish delight or dried fruits for something different!